5 tips for cleaning your tatami
For Judo as well as Aikido it’s strongly recommended to clean the tatami regularly. Although dependent of the size of the dojo, it’s ideal to do this at least once a month. It can be seen as a chore, but here are 5 tips to make this task turn into a fun one!
- Have a set moment to clean the tatami, to make sure that they are always as clean and fresh as possible!
- It can be a lot of work to do on your own, so make sure you have enough students or fellow Aikidoka around to help you. You can make it a fun moment by promising to go for drinks after!
- Make sure there is always enough tatami cleaner, but also other cleaning materials like buckets, cleaning rags, brushes and old towels.
- Start off by thoroughly scrubbing with a soft brush and later with a wet towel. If needed you can rinse the tatami with some clean water. Make sure to give the tatami enough time to dry!
- While you are cleaning your tatami, it might be a good idea to repair them as well! There is special tatami glue, but experience has proven that any D.I.Y. glue works as well.
Good luck with cleaning!